Sunday, April 12, 2009

Asleep In The Bread Aisle


I wanna start off today's post by wishing everyone a happy Easter! Hope yall have a great day doing whatever it is that you do on today. I had a pretty dope church service today and now I'm home waiting for moms to finish cookin so I can stuff my face lol.
I'm blogging today about Asher Roth's Debut CD, Asleep in the Bread Aisle. A while back I posted a song off of his album called Lark on My Go-Kart and his album recently leaked onto the net so out of curiousity, I d/l'd it in it's entirety to see how it was. Based off of his first single, I Love College, and the few songs that I'd heard that leaked I was pretty impressed. After hearing the album Ima go out on a limb and say that if he keeps doing what he's doing, he'll have a bright future in the business. Asleep in the Bread Aisle is one of the best albums to come out in 2009 so far. It's like listening to the love child of a 90s hip-hop album mixed with a live pop band album. Most of the beats on the album have a kind of old school hip-hop feel to them mixed with the organic quality of live instruments. One thing I really like about Asher is the fact that thoughout the entire album he's not trying to be anything that he's not. Not once on the album do you hear him boasting about how much money he has or how he'll bust caps in asses, what you get is a chill white college kid with a gift for rhyming raping about what he knows. Half of the album consists of lighthearted party style songs with Roth spitting witty and clever rhymes over heavy bassed beats. The other half we see a deeper more introspective Roth, rapping about more serious topics from his father to the comparisons between him and Eminem because he's a white MC. The great thing is both sides of Roth are insanely talented and there's not one track on the album that I could say he could've done without. I definately recommend this album to hip-hop fans everywhere.
Fave Tracks:
Lark On My Go-Kart
Blunt Cruisin'
I Love College
She Don't Wanna Man feat Keri Hilson
As I Em feat Chester French
Sour Patch Kids
Lion's Roar feat Busta Rhymes & New Kingdom
Dueces Up!
-Vision.Air.y-

No comments:

Post a Comment