Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Warrior and my Top 10 movies of 09 so far


So I'm a huge fan of asian cinema, especially movies about the fuedal warring period and so when i saw this movie was available on Netflix I had to get it. I got it a little while ago but had been to busy to watch it so I finally sat down today and watched it in it's entirety (it's a 2 and a half hour long movie) and I can honestly say that this is one of my favorite war movies period. The story follows a Korean envoy who travel to China to meet with the Ming Emperor in order to deliver a message to him but end up getting mistaken for spies and exiled. While they are exiled they end up at the encampment where they have a run-in with the Mongols (a barbaric clan of warriors) who have captured the Ming princess. From then on they go to massive and brutal war over the princess which ultimately ends with no real winner. The movie itself is actually quite dark and depressing because at the end of the movie you never quite know if things were truly solved. There was a lot of deaths and each one was painful to watch because the movie does a really good job of using it's 2 and a half hour running span to develop the characters and so seeing them die is heartwrenching. My favorite characters in the movie by far were the "main character" Yesol, a slave with an amazing talent with a staff and a genius in battle, and Jin-lip, a veteran archer who served as the sergant of the Korean army. The war scenes in the movie weren't as massive and epic as say a Lord of the Rings but they were emotional and passionate. The actors in the film did a great job of really putting a lot of emotion into their performances to make you really want them to succeed in the end. My only real complaints with the movie were that at times it seemed that some of the battles would have a lot of unnessecary back and forth moments (it's hard to explain) and also the ending really didn't give you any kind of real conclusion so your left feeling kinda jipped. Overall though, the film was a really great war story and I definately recommend it to anyone who's into asian cinema or war movies. 4/5.

So since we're almost half way through 2009 and I'm a huge movie person, I just wanted to list my top 10 movies of the year so far. You guys should do the same i'd be interested in seeing you guys lists.

1. Watchmen
2. Star Trek
3. The Hangover
4. Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen
5. Terminator Salvation
6. I Love You, Man
7. Push
8. Up
9. Fast & Furious
10. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

I'll probably be back at the end of the year to do this again (if I don't forget) and we'll see how much of this list has changed. Till then I leave yall with this DOPE trailer that I saw in the beginning of Transformers 2 for 2012. I will DEFINITELY be seeing this movie in a big ass movie theater lol. Rock on from Krypton!



Dueces Up!

-Vision.Air.y-

No comments:

Post a Comment